1 part stupid – because deciding to train for back-to-back half marathons in the middle of the worst WINTER ever? Stupid. And all the treadmill running has caused hip bursitis and I CAN’T RUN for another week at the minimum which means my upcoming 2nd half is going to be HARD.
2 parts crazy – because that’s what I and my friend Linds are for signing up and doing this. Constant training with both of us having toddlers, snow-maggedon for both of us, did I mention the RUNNING for HOURS on a TREADMILL?
5 kinds of awesome –
1) We have raised money for two great charities
2) We have totally gotten our bodies into great shape and we are healthy and kick butt!
3) We, through the kindness of some AMAZING people, have been able to make it possible for all of our families to come to our second race and visit Disney World.
4) I had a moment, during the first of our two half-marathons, I had a moment where I was just so overcome. The infertility stuff I’ve literally been running from hit me. But AT THE SAME TIME, the amazing situation I was in hit me too. I was in a princess running skirt and shirt, running a 13 mile race through Disneyland in California with one of the best people I have ever known. My body was doing amazing things, and I was doing amazing things. And things are amazing. They are amazing, and hard, and challenging, and I’m doing the best I can, and it’s pretty awesome.
5) All sorts of people have offered me/us their support, through donations to the charities, words of encouragement, places to stay, taking us around California and giving us a mini-tour. And our husbands, they put up with us. They let us prioritize our training so we could accomplish our goals. Good husbands, I highly recommend it.
Here are some pictures from our first race, Disneyland California, Tinkerbell Half Marathon:
And this video which my husband sent me about 30 minutes before my race. It was the first time I have ever left Stella and it was so hard. Note the toy tornado: